I’m back with another review in the Throne of Glass series! I was really disappointed with the first two books in the series, especially the first one and I am happy to say that all of you were right and that the series gets better. I gave five stars to Queen of Shadows because I was blown away by it. I still can’t wrap my head around this book so here, have thoughts!
Title: Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass #4)
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Synopsis: Everyone Celaena Sardothien loves has been taken from her. But she’s at last returned to the empire—for vengeance, to rescue her once-glorious kingdom, and to confront the shadows of her past…She has embraced her identity as Aelin Galathynius, Queen of Terrasen. But before she can reclaim her throne, she must fight.She will fight for her cousin, a warrior prepared to die for her. She will fight for her friend, a young man trapped in an unspeakable prison. And she will fight for her people, enslaved to a brutal king and awaiting their lost queen’s triumphant return.The fourth volume in the New York Times bestselling series continues Celaena’s epic journey and builds to a passionate, agonizing crescendo that might just shatter her world.
5 stars: Persephone – Queen of the Underworld and Goddess of Spring. Persephone is my favourite goddess because she is full of contradictions – she represents both strength as queen of the underworld and a softness as a floral maiden. She teaches me how it’s okay to be both. If Persephone appears, that means that thd book was one of the best books I’ve ever read, that it holds a particular place in my heart and that it is now part of my favourite books ever.
Pheme: The goddess of fame, gossip and renown – This goddess will be invoked when a book has received a lot of attention and is praised by critics and the book community. She will be featured whether the book lived up to my expectations or not.
Medusa – Gorgon. She is mostly known for being a monster, but before she was a monster, she was a beautiful mortal woman with beautiful hair who has been sexually assaulted by Poseidon in a temple dedicated to Athena. As a punishment she was transformed into a monster. This goddess will be featured whenever sexual assault is mentioned in a book. It will also be a trigger warning.
- Seeing Aelin and Rowan coming to terms with their feelings KILLED ME. I LOVE THEM WITH MY WHOLE HEART.
- I LOVE ALL THE NEW CHARACTERS – LYSANDRA, ELIDE AND NESRYN ARE SO BRAVE. They are role models for resilience and kindness.
- Manon’s character development is 10/10. I love her to death.
- Seeing Aelin’s court learning to trust and support each other warmed my poor heart.
- Whenever one of them was in danger and the others came for them was…I was in tears.
- The big reveal that Perrington is *spoiler*. GASP.
- Kaltain’s character arc honestly broke my heart and I’m so glad she went out the way she did.
- Arobynn’s death was *chef’s kiss*. Lysandra did NOT pull back.
- When Aelin washed Rowan’s hair I died. I love when couples do domestic things.
- When Rowan also rubbed oil on him…I died. We love a supportive king.
- I loved how each and every single character is so perfectly fleshed out. They all have their quirks and particularities and I love their chaotic dynamic;
- Evangeline and Lysandra deserve the world. They all do.
- I nearly cried when Aelin and Aedion found each other. It was so wholesome and soothed my heart.
- Dorian broke my heart and I really hope he will heal from his wounds.
- I also can’t wait to see how Dorian and Manon’s dynamic will evolve.
- When Aelin and Rowan kissed. Lord.
- The banter between the characters is pure gold.
- I loved how well the action and high risk scenes were written, My heart stopped multiple times.
- She is back in Terrasen. I thought I’d never see the day.
- This is the best book in the series so far and now I understand the hype and I feel like a fool because I didn’t understand how people shipped Aelin and Rowan or why everyone loved Manon so much. I’m ashamed at my own poor taste.
Have you read this book or series? What did you think? Let me know in the comments!
3 thoughts on “Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas – Book review. I couldn’t write a proper review so here, have *thoughts*!”
ONE OF MY FAVORITE BOOKS!
I LOVED IT TOO!! Definitely the best of the series! 🥰
LikeLiked by 1 person